Tupelo Masonic Lodge No. 318 F&AM - Forum

Tupelo Masonic Lodge No. 318 TupeloMason® Shutterfly/Forum

Friday, August 12, 2011

"The Palace"



The Palace

by Brother Rudyard Kipling

When I was a King and a Mason, a Master Proven and skilled,
I cleared me ground for a Palace, such as a King should build.
I decreed and dug down to my levels; presently, under the silt,
I came on the wreck of a Palace, such as a King had built.

There was no worth in the fashion; there was no wit in the plan;
Hither and thither, aimless, the ruined footings ran.
Masonry, brute, mishandled, but carven on every stone,
"After me cometh a Builder; tell him I, too, have known."

Swift to my use in my trenches, where my well-planned groundworks grew,
I tumbled his quoins and his ashlars, and cut and rest them anew.
Lime I milled of his marbles; burned it, slaked it, and spread;
Taking and leaving at pleasure the gifts of the humble dead.

Yet I despised not nor gloried, yet, as we wrenched them apart,
I read in the razed foundation the heart of that Builder's heart.
As he has risen and pleaded, so did I understand
The form of the dream he had followed in the face of the thing he had planned.

When I was a King and a Mason, in the open noon of my pride,
They sent me a Word from the Darkness; they whispered and called me aside.
They said, "The end is forbidden." They said, "Thy use is fulfilled.
Thy Palace shall stand as that other's, the spoil of a King who shall build."

I called my men from my trenches, my quarries, my wharves, and my sheers;
All I had wrought I abandoned to the faith of the faithless years.
Only I cut on the timber; only I carved on the stone:
"After me cometh a Builder; tell him I, too, have known."

 




Tupelo Masonic Lodge No. 318 F&AM
HOME - http://www.tupelomason.org/
BLOG - http://tupelomason.blogspot.com/
PHOTOS - http://tupelomason.shutterfly.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments and suggestions are not only welcomed, but are encouraged. However, keep your comments within the limits of good taste and please, no business promotions or hyperlinks that do not contain links to reputable Masonic material. Please see our Legal Disclaimer for more details regarding the Terms of Use. Violation of this policy will result in your comment being deleted and/or you being banned from future use of this website.